a blog for the future!
It’s January, and usually I start talking about my goals for my romance books in December, but December 2013 was all about getting The Dark Huntsman, A Fantasy Romance of the Black Court, out to readers. During December I had blog tours, sales, even a Facebook Round Robin, all in the name of promoting fantasy romance to the masses. Such is the job of a romance author during the holidays. 🙂
Now it’s January and I’m posting my goals.
First of all, I should check in with last year’s goals. They were massive, my goal was to dream big. I knew even when I set them that I wasn’t likely to achieve them all, but I did pretty well. Here they are!
Jessica Aspen Goals for 2013
Overall Organizational Goals:
- Continue to set and review monthly goals, set daily goals based on monthly goals DONE
- Write five days per week, 3 hours per day DONE to my satisfaction for the first part of the year(when I wasn’t working the day job and when I was focused on writing)
- Goal is 3k/day didn’t always hit this one
- and edit 15-20 pages per day fell off at the end of the year due to floods, jury duty, and misc OPPs!
- Keep up with personal site, blog 2 days a week DONE
- Self-publishing class in January (taking a fabulous class on Author EMS with Amy Atwell and Kelli Finger!) DONE
- Tax class in February from Colorado Romance Writers. DONE
- Market 1-2 hours per day DONE
- Attend CRW Writing Retreat in September Changed my mind and attended Hot Mojave Knights instead!
- Finish editing Goldi and the Bear by January 18th DONE
- Polish Goldi and the Bear by January 30th DONE, A few days later, but done!
- Write rough draft of B&B (second book in TQH series) DONE
- Edit rough draft of B&B DONE
- Start thinking about 3rd book in TQH series started, but really pushed off until 2014
- Outline 3rd book in TQH series NOT DONE
- Superhero goals: Edit BW and outline first book in that series pushed off until 2014 or 2015
- Submit Goldi and the Bear to PIP by January 30 DONE
- Decide what to do with HH Novellas Oh, this is so sad, but I did write one and it is so close to publishing it almost hurts! It will get out in 2014!
- Continue to submit TQH DONE This one is very interesting. It was nearly under contract, but I decided to publish it myself instead and it is now The Dark Huntsman and is doing great!
- Market all books (Little Red. S&S. Goldi) DONE
- Enter Little Red in contests DONE And Red finaled in the Golden Quill and received an Honorable Mention in the Holt Medallion contest. WOOT!
- Enter TQH into contests ENTERED IN 2014 SEVERAL CONTESTS.
- Increase presence on Goodreads Didn’t do much for this. Did have a Goodreads Giveaway!
- Work on All Romance Exposure nope
- Figure out how to increase presence on reader sites/loops ???
Now on to this year!
I’ve decided to simplify my goals. Write down some big goals and then every month see how I can achieve them by splitting them into steps. So here goes!
Overall Goals for 2014
- Publish two books in Tales of the Black Court Series (Prince by Blood and Bone-end of Jan, Mirror-summer 2014)
- Publish Christmas story (First of Haunted Holiday Novellas) (goal is Christmas in July)
- Publish on more formats
- Be making enough money by the end of 2014 to cover my writing expenses
- Continue to hone marketing techniques.
- Remember balance
- Work on writing on a schedule
- Come up with a plan for other books/series: What is my next step? Either start writing Tales of the Winter Court, focus on Haunted Holiday novellas, or write other Shifter books
- Work on writing/spending time more efficiently
That’s it! Last year was all about DREAM BIG! I set a lot of goals and worked hard to achieve them. I knew when I set them that I wouldn’t hit them all, but I actually did quite a bit. Last year I had two novellas from Passion in Print published Snow and the Seventh Wolf and Goldi and the Bear…and I published The Dark Huntsman on my own.
This year is all about EFFICIENCY. How do I set a few big goals and achieve them by achieving little goals. Be flexible and re-evaluate frequently. Be light on my feet. Be a butterfly stinging!
How are your goals looking? Did you achieve the important things this year? What changes will you be making for 2014? What goals are you setting? Personal and professional? I’d love to hear! Leave me a comment and tell me your goals.